I’ve been thinking about making a Robin print for a long time and had a few requests for one. After a visit to the Eden Project in Cornwall I was inspired again to make one and more importantly finally got round to doing it.
The first time I visited the Eden Project I thought the bird song was a recording, but then found out that the cheeky little Robins had taken up residence in the Biodomes. Again strange things started happening when I was photographing the print outside – there was a robin in a tree above me. Something similar happened when I photographed my Goldfinch Print. I wonder how they know?
Here are some photos of the stamp in progress. I made a drawing from a photograph – then I did some tests with my ink pads to make sure I had the right colours. I ordered 3 different ink pads trying to get the rust/orange colour right and finally ended up using one I already had – Memento Tangelo – but stamping it twice to get the depth of colour.
Love it. And thank you for confirming that the 'red' of their breasts is indeed an ochre. I have been wondering for some time whether it was/is my perception of the colour which was out.
Thank you Elephant's Child. It was a little strange – in my head it was a rust colour but it looked all wrong when I started stamping with those colours. I thought the Tangelo was too bright but it looked right.